Friday, July 29, 2011

Edward Scissorhands

Remember that movie? I was just reminded of it while sitting in a chair in a local barbershop. Informally, one is sat down, draped in a white sheet and for lack of a better description, attacked with a pair of scissors. The cartoon sound effects of a snapping turtle resembles what it sounds like. The scissors are snapped together rapidly long before ever coming near your head. The rhythmic clacking of blades coming together rapidly continues, uninterrupted while from the other hand runs a comb seemingly randomly through your hair, while small bunches of hair shoot wildly in every direction. As if that's not enough, a brand new straight edge razor blade is then opened and seemingly carelessly slid up and down the back of the neck and around the ears. Amazingly, no blood was seen. Suddenly, all action is stopped and the first word is spoken. "Good?" I said, "great." My first $0.95 haircut and that's no lie.

3 comments:

toby said...

Wow, that was quite a description.

pizza bob said...

Reminds me of haircuts in the Army. I think I only paid 75 or 90 cents. That was a while ago, however.

fmward said...

I had a similar situation in India. It was after sleeping the night at a train platform. When the barber shaved me with a straight razor, he cut the tops off of every mosquito bite on my face. I didn't even realize I was bitten beneath my whiskers. I looked like I had measles after that.